Dr Renate Savich
Dr. Renate Savich is a Professor of Pediatrics and Chief, Neonatology and Newborn Services
Division, Department of Pediatrics at Children’s of Mississippi, University of Mississippi Medical
Center. She is also currently the Past-Chair of the Section of Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine,
American Academy of Pediatrics. She is also on the Executive Committee of the Mississippi
State Perinatal Quality Collaborative. Her interests include neonatal respiratory physiology,
neonatal nutrition, health disparities, medical education and simulation training, and quality
improvement in the NICU. She recently received a grant from NIH for funding to perform Whole
Genome Sequencing testing on neonates in the Deep South.
Dr. Savich received her medical degree from Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois. She
received further training in Pediatrics from Children’s Memorial Hospital, Northwestern
University, Chicago, IL. She completed her fellowship in Neonatal/Perinatal Medicine in 1988
from the University of California, San Francisco. She was on faculty at the University of New
Mexico School of Medicine until 2014, before locating to Jackson Mississippi.
Some of her publications in the field of neonatology and medicine are:
1. Advanced Gestational Age Increases Serum Carbohydrate-Deficient Transferrin Levels
in Abstinent Pregnant Women. Alcohol and Alcoholism 2012.
2. The feasibility and cost of neonatal screening for prenatal alcohol exposure by
measuring phosphatidylethanol in dried blood spots. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2013.
3. The new 6-unit individualized curriculum for pediatric residents: the perspective of
neonatology fellowship program directors. J Perinatol. 2013.
4. Association between theta power in 6-month old infants at rest and maternal PTSD
severity: A pilot study Neuroscience Letters, 2016.
5. Riley LE, Cahill AG, Beigi R, Savich R, Saade G.Improving Safe and Effective Use of
Drugs in Pregnancy and Lactation: Workshop Summary. Am J Perinatol. 2017 Jan 31.
6. Russell K, Oliver SE, Lewis L, Barfield WD, Cragan J, Meaney-Delman D, Staples JE,
Fischer M, Peacock G, Oduyebo T, Petersen EE, Zaki S, Moore CA, Rasmussen SA;
Contributors. Savich RD Update: Interim Guidance for the Evaluation and Management
of Infants with Possible Congenital Zika Virus – United States, August 2016 MMWR
Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2016 Aug 26;65(33):870-878.
7. Lan KM, Tien LT, Cai Z, Lin S, Pang Y, Tanaka S, Rhodes PG, Bhatt AJ, Savich RD,
Fan LW. Erthyropoietin Ameliorates Neonatal Hypoxia-Ischemia-Induced
Neurobehavioral Deficits, Neuroinflammation and Hippocampal Injury in the Juvenile
Rat. Int J Mol Sci. 2016 Feb 26;17(3):289.